Approachable? Correctable?

 

There's really a level you get to, where you'd no longer get honest corrections/criticisms as freely as you used to. It could be because at that time, you're the leader, the followers are the ones who should learn from you, but whether you'd get those corrections at all or not, is dependent on the energy that you exude. 

Are you on an "attack/defensive" stance or on a "you can talk to me" stance.

Recently, a group of young adults were telling their leader, who could pass for a father to them, about how they didn't flow with his method of doing a certain thing, they then suggested another way of doing it. 

I watched as this leader, simply shut them down and told them that the method would not change and that they'd better got used to it. Of course they shut up, but I couldn't help but wonder why it didn't cross his mind to even find out the issue they had with his own method and try to consider their suggestion. 

His stance was defensive, easily noticed even in the sceptical manner in which those people brought their suggestion to him and how they didn't bother to press the issue further and simply shut up. They already expected his kind of response. 

Some days after this happened, I overheard this leader's close friend, Mr. A also complaining about his friend's method of doing that thing, and I thought, 'surely Mr. A would be able to bring his worries to his friend and his friend would find it easier to take the correction from him.' 

Imagine my surprise when I found out Mr.A didn't do anything even close to telling his friend his differing opinion, but simply went along with it in the friend's presence.

Is nobody going to try to correct him? 

Is he not going to take anyone's suggestion?

Is he you?

Am I he?


I don't want to be like that

I want people to be able to correct me

I want to be able to see their views

I want to be able to accept that I'm wrong when I am

God help me 🙌🏽


 


Comments

  1. May God help us to be "happy" recipients of correction.

    But correction isn't always sweet o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not o, I wish it was.

      But God can help us, Amen.🙌🏽

      Delete
  2. I noticed that in some aspects, my default setting is the attack/defensive one. I am currently making efforts to change that. I would like to be corrected. Plus, I dont want to shut people down so quickly especially without listening... I think its unhealthy.
    Thanks your this piece, babe. You're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm all fall back to the state of the mind of people and the kind of information given as the definition of leadership.
    Nice piece dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father help me to be always approachable and correctable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The value of correction is positive when you are met with such and you are amenable to a change in behaviour and traits either by the Spirit of God or Spiritual Fathers as well as biological fathers. The one the father loves is the one he chastises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give me a teachable heart o LORD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I hate him! I wish he'd just die!

I lost my phone AGAIN! Why ME?